Monday, March 5, 2012

Celebration of Fasting

I thought I would post some more information about Fasting.

Here are all the references I found in the Bible. I know there are more in there, so feel free to add them in the comments!



Scripture
Fasting Content
Nehemiah 1:4
Confessing, mourning, petitioning
Daniel 9:3
Seek Answer, petitioning, sackcloth and ashes
Isaiah 58:1-14
Fasting as Duty- True Worship!
Zechariah 7:1-7 and 8:18-19
Fast for God, No Hypocritical Fasting!
Joy Filled Fast

Deuteronomy 9:9
God sustained Moses
1 Kings 19:8
Elijah was sustained by God and went 40days/n
Esther 4:16
Consecrate, Esther and People
Luke 5:33-35
Bridegroom is here, Feast! Fast later.
Acts 14:23
Consecrated to the Lord, church
Acts 13:2
Holy Spirit Answered, Paul and Barnabas consecrated
Acts 9:9
Saul fasted after Damascus
2 Corinthians 11:27
Suffering for Christ, Paul, fasting often.
Matthew 9:15
Parallel to Luke 5:33




Scripture
Corporate Fasting Content
Joel 2:12-15
Return to me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Set apart yourself for a fast. Sanctify the congregation!
Leviticus 23:27
Day of Atonement Fast! Commandment.
2 Chronicles 20:1-4
Jehoshaphat proclaimed a corporate fast to seek help from God!
Jonah 3:4-10
Repentance. Petition.
Ezra 8:21-23
Corporate Fast, Petitioning God for safety. 
Luke 2:37
Anna living in temple. Way of life. Presented to God.
Acts 13:2
Consecrated for service. Paul and Barnabas
Zechariah 7:5
Fast for the people’s relationship with God. Don’t fast for God. Fast for yourself.
Psalm 69:10
Petitioning God. Humbled my soul.
John 4:32,34
My food is the will of God who sent me. Complete his work. God sustains. Food does not.


I thought it might help to see how pervasive fasting is in the Bible. I think I have a couple of these duplicated because they had to do with fasting and with corporate fasting both.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment